“The best thing about it was seeing the joy on my son’s face at being able to run wild and unsupervised – a sense of freedom I took for granted at his age but, where we live at least, is now sadly missing.” – The Guardian
“This wasn’t just giving them a glimpse of the childhood freedoms we enjoyed, it was a better a version of that childhood. One with fairy doors and glowing umbrellas, giant insects and even bigger water slides.” – Festival Kidz, 2016
“THIS IS EVEN BETTER THAN MAJORCA!!!” – Anonymous but very vocal tiny human, 2017.
Starry Skies is brought to you by Kambe Events Ltd – the team behind the award winning Shambala Festival. This gloriously mucky hybrid between a festival and a camping holiday is now in it’s 7th year – and is designed especially for free range kids and their grown ups.
Starry Skies was born from our own realisation that going on holiday with the kids can turn into an expensive battle of endurance.
Whilst we love taking our kids to festivals, once the sun goes down it can feel that everyone without kids is having a much better time. Similarly, taking the little ones on a camping trip can be amazing if the weather behaves – but it does sometimes feel that, rather than relaxing, you spend the whole time frantically trying to find them stuff to do – they’re bored of the frisbee after the first 15 minutes, and they’re genuinely terrible at card games (toddlers especially.)
With this in mind, we wanted to provide the best bits of a family festival:
- A proper sense of community and a chance for both you and your little ones to meet and bond with likeminded souls.
- An incredible array of activities for young and old alike.
- A chance to hang out with your pals and their kids around the campfire
- Great live music
- Delicious food (that you don’t have to cook!)
- The chance to get an ice cold pint or delicious cocktail from a ‘proper’ bar
And blend it together with the best bits of a family camping holiday:
- Proper, unadulterated family time in the great outdoors
- Watching your kids get fully hands on with nature, swapping ipads for rope swings, and minecraft for building real life tree houses.
- Feeling confident that they’re safe, when they’re tearing around the woods with their new friends.
- The chance to spread out and camp in a large, spacious group with friends and family.
- A four day escape from emails, social media and the constant-pressure-to-buy-stuff-you-really-don’t-need.
Never been before? Here’s what to expect.
Based on a family farm, in the Welsh village of Usk, our site is complete with rolling meadows, ancient woodlands and even an iron age fort. Our huge, rustic barn is home to a well stocked bar, stocked up with local ales, cocktails and delicious wines, and plays host to stonking musical performances from bands and DJs by night. Starry Skies is capped at just 250 families – no scary crowds here, so you can relax in the knowledge your kids are never too far away.
We’ve got activities coming out of our ears, all designed to get your kids running wild all day. A giant build-your-own-adventure-playground? Check. A mud kitchen that would put Mary Berry to shame? Check check. Forest School sessions for all ages? Absolutely. A GIANT legendary water slide? Duh. Edition Seven’s content will be confirmed soon, but in the meantime, take a nosy at what went down at Edition Six, Here.